Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Postcard Art and Accidental Inspiration

So I have a confession you guys, I'm addicted to collaging. I seriously can't stop. Every piece of paper I get my hands on can fall victim to my relentless scissors. I have an entire drawer of my tiny, cramped dorm room dedicated to the art of collaging. And yes, my friends, it certainly is an art. I may not be very good at that art, but it doesn't matter, I still make awesome stuff! My most recent endeavor has been making post cards for friends and family, a whole host of which I sent off too soon to scan :(. I've also gotten into collaging on pages in this floppy moleskine I accidentally bought because I thought it had lines. Luckily this error came right at the time when I discovered my obsession with collaging. You guys should seriously try it, it's such an awesome, mindless release of creative energy. I've found myself wanting to do it every night before I go to sleep to wind down. Anyway here's a sample of what I've been up to:

Ben I will give you this eventually! It's one of my faves cause I mix-matched pictures from this skater magazine with 1960s National Geographics and of course, a fair helping of GLITTER~!


This is just a page from my accidental moleskine. I also accidentally spilled nail polish polish on this page, inspiring me to trace my hand and 'make it work' as they say, around it. 

So this one has a whole other spectrum of awesomeness going on. The center image is from this children's book about the Circus that I got at The Arc. The caption underneath reads, "O Mr. Lion, don't you wish you could climb like this?" The whole book is filled with accidentally hilarious captions and hyperbolic stories, and also CATZ R AWESUM! Hence my other obsession of late: my leopard print duct tape. Yeah, it's as awesome as it sounds...

This one's mostly from those old National Geographics

As is this one, but I added a picture from Wired and some commentary with the help of my Circus Animals book. Notice "The Man" giving cheers to the hetero-normative behavior...PUPPETS I SAY! eh hem...moving on.

This one's a postcard for my Rayanne Graff <3 
The feline theme running throughout all this stuff all started with this postcard to my friend Zanny who's abroad for the semester!

This one's mostly pictures from Nylon with a few additions by moi. Notice the money sign stickers  $$$! If only that were real money cause I'm livin' the broke lyffff.

And another post card!

Okay so this one's a combination between Nylon and Martha Stewart Halloween Special. That bottom image is make-up instructions for an 11 year old! Umm what?!! This one's like a comment on media pressures to conform in order to please the male gaze and shit.

Some text and a drawing from the Circus Animals book. Good lesson guys, moms are the best! Oh and more pics from old National Geographics. They really are just so visually pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment